It’s not only for Thanksgiving anymore! If you often prepare big roasts or boil or steam huge amounts of food, the turkey fryer is an excellent addition to your kitchen equipment. There are two kinds of turkey fryers: traditional outdoor fryers powered by gas or electricity, and interior electrical fryers.
There are also oil-free types available, which may be used inside or outdoors and are perfect if you need to reduce your fat intake. This study not only examines a variety of the finest turkey fryers, but it also examines the pros and disadvantages of the various kinds of fryers and provides suggestions on cooking your turkey safely.
The Char-Broil Big Easy turkey fryer is our top selection for oil-free outdoor cooking, and it can cook a 16lb turkey.
The Masterbuilt Butterball XL electric turkey fryer is our indoor budget selection since it can not only fry but also boil or steam XL turkeys.
- Quick Comparison: Top 10 Best Turkey Fryers
- 1. Char-Broil Big Easy Turkey Fryer
- 2. Masterbuilt Butterball XL Electric Turkey Fryer
- 3. Masterbuilt Butterball Electric Oil Free Turkey Roaster and Fryer
- 4. Masterbuilt Butterball XXL Electric Fryer (Cinnamon)
- 5. Bayou Classic 32 Quart Turkey Fryer
- 6. Eastman Outdoors 37069 Cooking Set
- 7. Butterball MB23010118 Large Electric Fryer
- 8. Cuisinart CDF-500 Extra Large Rotisserie Fryer
- 9. King Kooker 1265BF3 Outdoor Frying Package
- 10. Stark Deluxe 30 QT Aluminum Turkey Deep Fryer
- Things to Consider Before Buying a Turkey Fryer
- What is the best oil less turkey fryer 2022?
- What’s the best deep fryer for a turkey?
- Which is better turkey fryer aluminum or stainless steel?
- What size turkey fryer should I buy?
- What oil lasts the longest in a deep fryer?
- How much oil to fry a 20 lb turkey in a 30 quart turkey fryer?
- What size deep fryer do I need for a 25 lb turkey?
- Will a 20 pound turkey fit in a deep fryer?
- What is the best turkey brand?
- How big of a turkey will fit in a 30 quart fryer?
Quick Comparison: Top 10 Best Turkey Fryers
|Char-Broil Big Easy Turkey Fryer||A+|
|Masterbuilt Butterball XL Electric Turkey Fryer||A+|
|Masterbuilt Butterball Electric Oil Free Turkey Roaster and Fryer||A|
|Masterbuilt Butterball XXL Electric Fryer||A|
|Bayou Classic 32 Quart Turkey Fryer||B+|
|Eastman Outdoors 37069 Cooking Set||A+|
|Butterball MB23010118 Large Electric Fryer||A|
|Cuisinart CDF-500 Extra Large Rotisserie Fryer||B+|
|King Kooker 1265BF3 Outdoor Frying Package||B+|
|Stark Deluxe 30 QT Aluminum Turkey Deep Fryer||A-|
1. Char-Broil Big Easy Turkey Fryer
- Propane powered oil-less infrared turkey fryer
- Infrared heat from 16,000 BTU propane burners evenly cooks meat for a juicy inside and crunchy outside.
- Takes up to a 16lb turkey or other cuts of meat
- It includes a thermometer and several accessories. Other accessories are available from the manufacturer.
The Char-Broil Big Easy turkey fryer cooks turkey and various meat pieces using infrared heat, such as pork tenderloin and bone-in or boneless ribs. The 16,000 BTU propane burners sit within a cylindrical double-walled cooking chamber, allowing the produced infrared heat to cook meat uniformly while keeping it moist on the inside and crispy on the exterior. When cooking bigger turkeys, some users have found it necessary to either rotate the bird or chop it halfway through cooking to guarantee the center of the bird cooks to the minimum recommended internal temperature of 165F.
This method uses no oil, making it a safer and healthier option to cooking meat with additional fat. This fryer can hold up to 16 pounds of turkey and will cook it or chicken in 8 to 10 minutes per pound. Other types of meat will take longer. It has a meat thermometer to ensure that it has achieved a safe internal temperature.
- Infrared turkey fryer
- 16,000 BTU propane burners
- Takes up to a 16lb turkey or other meats
- Does not use oil for cooking
- Comes with cooking thermometer
- Because it is fueled by propane, it must be used outside, and cooking times might vary based on weather conditions.
- May need to buy extra accessories such as rib hooks or a fryer cover
- Cooking huge entire turkeys through may need experience; you may need to turn it or chop it halfway through until you become acclimated to how it cooks.
- The turkey is not as crispy as it would be in an oil fryer.
2. Masterbuilt Butterball XL Electric Turkey Fryer
- XL electric turkey fryer capable of cooking a 20lb turkey
- It is certified for indoor usage and has safety elements including a ceramic covered inner pot to keep the oil within.
- Uses up to 33% less oil and may be used to boil, steam, or fry items.
- The company sells additional cooking equipment.
The Masterbuilt Butterball XL electric turkey fryer can accommodate a 20-pound turkey. This is suitable to use inside and includes a porcelain covered inner pot to retain the oil within. It also consumes up to a third less oil than comparable fryers and can steam, boil, and fry meals. Cleaning up after using an oil fryer may be time consuming and dirty.
It may take up to an hour to heat the oil to 375F for peanut oil, and after the oil is at the proper temperature and the turkey is added, it takes time for the temperature to recover to the optimum cooking degree.
This item is covered by a three-month limited warranty. The maker also sells extra accessories, marinades, and spices.
- Electric turkey fryer
- Safety certified for indoor use
- XL size for 20lb turkey
- Uses less oil than similar fryers
- Foods may also be boiled, steamed, or fried in this pot.
- It might take up to an hour to heat up to cooking temperature.
- Cleaning up after frying may be time-consuming and dirty.
- It might be inconvenient if this unit trips while in use since the reset button is located on the inside of the element.
- Although the power chord is short for safety reasons, you may have difficulty finding a sufficient tabletop area near a power outlet.
- Only has a three month warranty
3. Masterbuilt Butterball Electric Oil Free Turkey Roaster and Fryer
- Outdoor electric oil-free turkey roaster and frying
- Is a double walled unit that uses radiant heat
- may cook up to an 18lb turkey, and the wood chip box may also be used for smoking.
- Because it features a tempered glass cover, you can easily observe the cooking process.
The Masterbuilt Butterball electric oil-free turkey roaster and fryer is a double-walled radiant heat outdoor burner with a tempered glass cover that enables you to keep an eye on your food as it cooks. It may also be used as a smoker if wood chips are put to the accompanying wood chip box.
As with any big fryer or cooker, it’s a good idea to conduct a test cook before Thanksgiving since cooking times can differ, particularly if you’re accustomed to an oil fryer. When the roaster comes, inspect it carefully since some consumers got it without the necessary components to install it correctly. This roaster can hold up to an 18-pound turkey.
- Outdoor oil free turkey roaster
- Electric powered
- Uses radiant heat
- Will cook an 18lb turkey
- Comes with a wood chip box for smoked flavor
- Tempered glass lid
- Because it is an oil-free cooker, it does not provide the conventional deep-fried flavor that you may desire.
- There is no temperature gauge
- There is a possibility that you may get the fryer without the essential hardware for assembly.
4. Masterbuilt Butterball XXL Electric Fryer (Cinnamon)
- The XXL cinnamon red electric fryer can cook a 22lb turkey as well as boil and steam items.
- For simpler cleaning, the stainless steel outer shell has a built-in drain valve and dishwasher safe components.
- It uses up to a third less oil than conventional fryers and has been developed and tested to meet commercial requirements.
- Has a timer function and a digital control panel
The Masterbuilt XXL electric fryer (cinnamon) can cook up to a 22lb turkey and may also be used to steam or boil dishes. It has a drain valve and dishwasher-safe components. This model is made of stainless steel and includes a digital control panel with a timer function. This fryer, like other fryers, includes a magnetic power cord as a safety measure, however the smallest bump to the fryer while in use might cause the wire to detach, impairing frying, hence the fryer must be handled with care while in use.
This indoor fryer uses up to 33% less oil than ordinary fryers and has been certified to commercial standards. Some customers have difficulty increasing the temperature of the oil after the turkey has been added, so keep an eye on the temperature to guarantee ample cooking time at the right temperature.
- XXL electric fryer for 22lb turkey
- Cinnamon red color
- Uses less oil than other fryers
- Also boils and steams foods
- Dishwasher safe components
- Digital control panel and timer
- Like any oil fryer, clean up can take some time
- Once the meat is put to the fryer, it will take some time to heat up the oil again.
- The meat basket can be imbalanced in the fryer
- With a little bump to the fryer, the magnetic power line comes disconnected.
5. Bayou Classic 32 Quart Turkey Fryer
- An outdoor turkey fryer that can cook a bird weighing up to 20 pounds.
- 32 quart pot with perforated steamer basket
- Made from 22 gauge polished stainless steel
- A 12 thermometer and a steel grab hook are also included.
- Heavy duty handles for easy moving
The Bayou Classic 32 quart turkey fryer is built of 22 gauge polished stainless steel and is great for frying, boiling, or steaming poultry, fish, vegetables, and other foods. This is suitable for use with an outdoor gas fire and contains a perforated basket for simple steaming, as well as a perforated poultry rack. This fryer also comes with a stainless steel grab hook and a 12-inch thermometer.
It boasts heavy-duty handles for easy carrying and can roast a turkey weighing up to 20 pounds. You should properly inspect this fryer for indications of wear and tear before each use, since there is a chance of tiny holes forming in the stainless steel over time. Because the stainless steel looks to be thin, this may not survive as long as you would anticipate for a mid-range budget fryer.
- Will cook a turkey up to 20 lbs.
- 32 quart outdoor fryer
- 22 gauge stainless steel
- Includes steamer basket
- Comes with thermometer and grab hook
- This fryer’s lifetime may be less than intended.
- You should inspect this for pinholes before each usage.
6. Eastman Outdoors 37069 Cooking Set
- 65,000 BTU propane outdoor cooking set
- Suitable for frying turkey and other foods
- The stainless steel stockpot is 30 quarts in size.
- CSA certified for its safety standards
- It includes a chicken stand, a hook, and a 12-degree thermometer.
A 65,000 BTU burner and a 30 quart high duty stainless steel stockpot are included in the Eastman Outdoors 37069 cooking set. It may be used to cook turkeys and other dishes; an 18-pound turkey should fit nicely in this pot.
It comes with a chicken platform, a raise hook, and a 12 thermometer, however it must be connected to a regular 20lb propane tank. Because this is an extremely hot cooking set, you must keep a close eye on it to ensure that the oil does not overheat. It has been certified and tested to Canadian requirements Authority (CSA) requirements.
- Outdoor grilling equipment for frying turkey and other delicacies
- 65,000 BTU burner
- 30 quart stainless steel stockpot
- CSA certified
- Comes with thermometer, poultry stand and hook
- As an extremely hot burner, you must constantly check cooking temperature to ensure that the oil does not get overheated and burn.
- Before you can use it, you must first purchase a propane tank.
- When you get this item, double-check that it has all of the components, since some hardware may be missing.
7. Butterball MB23010118 Large Electric Fryer
- Indoor electric big fryer for a 14-pound turkey that can also be used for boiling and steaming.
- With a stainless steel exterior, drain valve, and dishwasher safe components, it is easy to clean.
- Safety features include a thermostat and basket drain clips.
Suitable for cooking a turkey up to 14lb, this can also be used for boiling or as a steamer. Some of the components are dishwasher safe, and there is a drain valve to help with cleaning. It has basket drain clamps and thermostat controls for further security.
This is prepared in an indoor electric fryer with a stainless steel exterior. Although it is designed for birds up to 14 pounds, several customers report having difficulty putting slightly smaller birds inside the frying basket.
- Indoor electric fryer suitable for a 14lb turkey
- Can be used for boiling and steaming food
- Dishwasher safe components
- Easy drain valve
- Larger birds may struggle to fit in the frying basket.
- This model may be more suitable for smaller batch frying than a whole bird as it can take some time for the oil to get back up to temperature
8. Cuisinart CDF-500 Extra Large Rotisserie Fryer
- one extra-large rotisserie fryer capable of cooking a 14-pound turkey in one hour.
- Can be used without oil to steam foods
- The temperature is adjustable
- Has a 120 minute timer and magnetic power cord
- The handle on the stainless steel fry basket is cool to the touch.
- Has a three year limited warranty
The Cuisinart CDF-500 extra large rotisserie fryer can cook a 14-pound turkey in an hour and uses less oil than a standard fryer. It’s also great for frying potatoes, doughnuts, seafood, potatoes, and more, plus you can steam veggies and seafood without using any oil.
This fryer boasts an adjustable temperature control and a 120-minute timer, as well as a cool-touch handle on its stainless steel mesh basket. For safety, a magnetic power cable is used, and the manufacturer provides a three-year limited guarantee. Some purchasers have been unhappy with the size of this fryer and believe that the quality is not up to par with the manufacturer’s expectations. A limited number of purchasers have also reported thermostatic issues with this fryer.
- Able to cook a 14 lbs. turkey
- Can also be used as a steamer
- Adjustable temperature control
- 120 minute timer
- Cool-touch basket handle
- Magnetic power cord
- Some buyers consider this a small electric fryer
- The standard may not be as high as you would think.
- Some owners have reported thermostat issues shortly after purchase.
9. King Kooker 1265BF3 Outdoor Frying Package
- The outdoor frying kit includes a burner, an outdoor stove, and a 29-quart turkey pot.
- Can cook a turkey up to 20 lbs. in weight
- The cast burner has a 33,000 BTU output
- The steamer basket has a heat-resistant handle
- An 11-quart fry pan, thermometer, additional equipment, and a recipe booklet are also included.
Everything you need to fry, steam, or boil outside is included in the King Kooker 1265BF3 outdoor frying kit. This set contains a 29-quart turkey pot with basket, cover, rack, and lifting hook, as well as an 11-quart fry pan with basket and heat-resistant handle.
The pots are made of aluminum and include a deep fry thermometer, a 33,000 BTU cast burner with a type 1 connection, and a heavy duty welded 12 outdoor cooker. The turkey pot can accommodate up to a 20-pound turkey and comes with instructions and a recipe sheet.
This comes with a Prop 65 warning for California residents, and if you pick this pot, be sure to thoroughly check it upon delivery since there is a potential you may get it with aesthetic damage.
- Outdoor aluminum frying package
- 29 quart turkey fryer
- Will cook a 20 lbs. turkey
- 33,000 BTU burner
- 12 welded outdoor cooker
- Includes accessories
- The turkey cooker and fry pan are aluminum
- If you live in California, there is a Prop 65 warning.
- There is a high possibility of getting pots with aesthetic damage.
10. Stark Deluxe 30 QT Aluminum Turkey Deep Fryer
- A 30 quart turkey fryer set
- Includes a turkey fryer made of metal and a 10 quart steamer basket.
- It also includes a burner, a burner stand, and other accessories.
- It comes with a long probe thermometer that can be fastened to the turkey fryer.
The Stark 30 quart turkey fryer set contains a 30 quart aluminum turkey fryer, poultry rack, and 10 quart steamer basket, as well as a burner, burner base, LP hose and regulator, hanger, and marinade injector. This kit contains a long probe thermometer that can be fastened to the edge of the pot and is ideal for frying chicken, steaming or boiling fish, stews, veggies, and more.
This does not come with any instructions, so if you are new to outdoor burners, you may need to do some research before using it, and some buyers have reported receiving a set with some missing pieces.
- Aluminum turkey fryer set
- 30 quart fryer pot
- 10 quart steamer basket
- Long probe thermometer with clip
- Also includes burner and stand
- Does not come with any instructions for use
- The frying pot is made of metal, which not all consumers will like.
- You may receive the set with some missing parts
Things to Consider Before Buying a Turkey Fryer
Cooking Turkey Safely
When purchasing a new turkey fryer, it may be beneficial to purchase it far ahead of time so that you have time to do several test cooking. This means not just learning how it works, but also, more significantly, learning how it cooks.
This may also lessen the chance of plugging in the fryer on Thanksgiving and discovering it isn’t operating correctly, forcing you to switch on the oven to salvage the turkey for a late-night supper.
Even with indoor fryers, safety equipment like as heatproof gloves and appropriate footwear are required, and a turkey fryer or cooker should never be left unattended. It’s also a good idea to have a fire extinguisher certified for flammable substances on hand.
Because of its high flash point, which makes it less prone to catch fire, peanut oil is preferred for use in turkey fryers. It also has a greater smoking point, which provides a pleasant taste, and it can be re-used many times before it has to be discarded, which is beneficial since it is more costly than other kinds of oil. Peanut oil is also devoid of cholesterol.
Deep frying turkey may be done in any cooking oil with a smoke point higher than 425F. Corn oil exceeds this, while canola oil has a smoke point of just 400F, making it inappropriate.
For effective cooking, keep the oil at 350°F. If your fryer does not come with a thermometer, or if it does but you want additional assurance, a deep fat clip on oil thermometer, as well as a high quality and long probed meat thermometer, are recommended investments.
The quantity of oil required in the fryer may vary, but a 9lb bird will need 3 to 4 gallons, a 14lb bird about 5 gallons, and a 20lb plus up to 6 gallons. since turkeys grow in size, it’s a good idea to separate the white and dark flesh for frying, since there’s a danger of scorching the exterior and leaving the interior uncooked.
To limit the danger of foodborne disease, turkey should always be cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165F. If you use a turkey fryer, utilize a fresh and dry non-frozen turkey, since the USDA advises that frozen turkeys be cooked from frozen for food safety. Frying a frozen turkey will cause it to burst and catch fire.
Once the turkey has reached a safe internal temperature and you’ve finished your meal, split leftovers into smaller parts and store in shallow containers in the refrigerator or freezer.
If you refrigerate cooked turkey, it should be eaten within three to four days, and if you freeze it, it should be eaten within two to six months. If you reheat leftover turkey, it must also achieve a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit before serving.
Using a Propane Fryer
A propane fryer should always be used outside, and since it is fueled by propane, it may be placed away from the home, keeping the cooking fragrance outside. It should also be placed well away from any decks, trees, roofs, or other combustible materials. However, since it is an outside fryer, it will be affected by inclement weather.
If you have an oil-filled propane turkey fryer, keep the propane tank upright and as far away from the fryer as feasible. If you do not already have one, you should get one to ensure that you have adequate fuel to complete your cooking.
If you use an oil-free propane turkey fryer, you should keep the top off during cooking since the cover might cause the oil to overheat and dry up the flesh. If you want a crispy finish, cover the fryer for the final 15 minutes of cooking time.
The Electric Fryer
Choosing an electric fryer might alleviate some of the anxiety that some of us may have around gas burners! It is primarily intended for inside usage, but it may be really useful if the weather is terrible on Thanksgiving if you do not have enough outside cooking area.
Oil fryers contain a thermostat to assist keep the temperature steady, as well as an auto shut off feature if the oil temperature rises too high. Many have built-in timers as well.
Oil fryers often serve as boilers and steamers, allowing you to prepare a range of items all year.
The Difference Between Oil and Oil-Less Turkey Cooking
The biggest downside of cooking without oil is that it does not provide the usual fried and crispy turkey that many of us like. This may also be advantageous, particularly for those of us who need to reduce our fat intake, since oil-free cooking requires just a little grease on the bird.
The oil-free fryer also enables us to utilize the drippings for gravy and season the meat to our liking. It saves money on oil and, unlike an oil fryer, does not take long to heat up, albeit it does take longer to cook than an oil-based fryer. Some oil-free fryers may also be used inside.
We hope that our study has assisted you in weighing the benefits of indoor or outdoor fryers and deciding whether you want to buy in a classic oil fryer or one of the newer types of oil-less cookers, as well as providing some helpful recommendations for safe turkey fryer usage.
If you are preparing for a large family Thanksgiving, want to fry 8lb of chicken wings for a neighborhood barbeque, or even boil up some lobster or corn on the cob, then using the best turkey fryer is the perfect way to ensure that these and more are cooked properly with minimal fuss and mess.
What is the best oil less turkey fryer 2022?
The Big Easy on the grill Oil-Free TRU-Infrared Turkey Fryer
This solution is excellent for many reasons: For one thing, since it doesn’t require oil, you may use a seasoned rub on the exterior of the turkey instead of a traditional fryer. It also employs infrared cooking, so you can always expect crispy, tasty, and uniformly cooked meat.
What’s the best deep fryer for a turkey?
Bayou Classic Stainless Steel Turkey Fryer is the best overall turkey fryer.
The King Kooker Propane Outdoor Fryer is the best propane turkey fryer.
Masterbuilt XL Electric Fryer is the best electric turkey fryer.
Bayou Classic Oversized Turkey Deep Fryer is the best large turkey fryer.
Which is better turkey fryer aluminum or stainless steel?
Although aluminum transmits heat just as rapidly and is less expensive, we believe stainless steel is superior since it is more resilient, solid, and less prone to dents. The pot’s 32-quart size allows it to comfortably contain nearly 3 gallons of cooking oil and is big enough to fry an 18-pound turkey.
What size turkey fryer should I buy?
Here’s how to choose the right size pot: 26-quart: large enough to cook a 12- to 14-pound turkey. 34-quart: large enough to cook a 14- to 20-pound turkey. 40-quart: for turkeys weighing more than 20 pounds.
What oil lasts the longest in a deep fryer?
Saturated fat-rich oils, such as peanut oil, vegetable shortening, or lard, are ideal for frying. They will not only have the longest lives, but also the crispest outcomes.
How much oil to fry a 20 lb turkey in a 30 quart turkey fryer?
For a 32-quart saucepan, use 3 gallons of oil.You’ll need enough oil to cover the whole turkey without it spilling over. A common rule of thumb is to use 3 gallons of oil for a 30 qt. pot and 3 12 gallons for a 15 qt. pot.
What size deep fryer do I need for a 25 lb turkey?
Bayou Classic Oversized Turkey Deep Fryer Kit 42 Quart Aluminum Grand Gobbler for 25+ LBS Turkeys.
Will a 20 pound turkey fit in a deep fryer?
The end product is wonderful, and the procedure is quicker than you may imagine. A 20-pound turkey may be deep-fried in an hour and twenty minutes, but an oven-cooked turkey would take 4 to 5 hours.
What is the best turkey brand?
Which Turkey Brand Is the Most Popular? Butterball is one of the most popular, owing to its low cost and ease of availability. Honeysuckle, Jennie-O, Boar’s Head, Perdue, Pilgrim’s Pride, and Applegate Farms are among popular brands.
How big of a turkey will fit in a 30 quart fryer?
A 30-quart turkey fryer can accommodate an 18-pound bird. This is a high-quality fryer with various safety features…